Sunday, July 27, 2014

This Week: Estate Sale Fun & the Monster Conch Shell


      It has been a good week. Having a "normal" week and a "normal" life is a huge blessing--I will never take it for granted again.  I did my usual things: housework, shopping, enjoying friends and family contacts, doing my little normal activities--how wonderful that is! I even got to meet up with friend Tina for lunch while out doing my weekly errands on Friday. What could be better than that?

      I was able to keep up with the housework this week. I love my routine. Each day of the week has a different household chore that takes no more than an hour or two. Laundry. Clean floors. Dust and clean the kitchen. Clean the bathrooms. Run errands and do the shopping. Do "deskwork".  If I do that, plus my quick morning straightening-through-the-house routine, life is easy. Everything is nice and clean. I'm ready for unexpected company at the drop of a hat. In addition to that I am still trying to go through my old books and magazines and get the excess either given away or listed on Ebay, which takes up most of my afternoons.
      I did a lot of walking this week with friend Janine. She has gotten a "Fit Bit", which she wears on her wrist. It tells her, among other things, how many steps she has taken each day. Her goal is 10,000 steps a week, and she has been reaching that goal. So I enjoy going along with her most evenings after it starts to cool outside. 
      My favorite healthy meal this week was a steak salad, made very simply with a leftover steak, reheated and thinly sliced over a handful of mixed organic greens, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced celery and green onions, and sprinkled with Feta cheese.  Vinaigrette dressing was a mixture of one crushed clove of garlic, 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard, 1/4 c. Balsamic vinegar, 1/2 c. olive oil, some thyme, salt and pepper--all shaken together in a jar. (Yum!) I must confess I also made my "Crustless Coconut Pie", which Janine and her husband Paul helped us eat up in no time. (After we all walked off the calories ahead of time, of course!)

      I met this week's goal of listing 25 items on Ebay. Sales are starting to come in on my auctioned books and magazines. :-)  If you didn't know that people buy back issues of magazines--they do! This week I also listed some vintage aprons (that I got for free at a garage sale), and a few nice thrift shop finds. It's enjoyable to turn on some music or a podcast in the background and just get in the "Listing Zone."  
      We did have to turn the air conditioning back on during the week. It zoomed from highs in the 70's most of the week up to 99 degrees on Saturday, and may I add WITH humidity? Now we are expecting another return to delightful summer temps during this workweek. So I'm not complaining.
      I might add that while I was running my usual errands this week I was careful to only buy specific items that were on my list. That's always a good thing. That is, until, well....

       Janine twisted my arm and "made" me go to an estate sale with her Saturday morning. Let me tell you, if you have never done a "serious" estate sale shopping trip, it isn't all that easy. First of all I had to awaken at 5:00 a.m. I stayed up until about 11:30 the night before, as I often do, and so I really hated hearing that alarm go off.  Before I could wake up enough to sit up in bed Sweetface had gotten up and made me a cup of coffee and gone back to bed. (I know; who else has a husband like that???) So I was actually able to luxuriate over that cup for 20 minutes before getting up and getting ready.

      We left at 6:00 a.m. and drove about 25 minutes to the sale, where we got a "Preliminary Number" that we held on to until we got in line at 7:00 a.m. to get our "Real Number" to get into the sale--which by the way didn't start until 9:00 a.m.! So, Janine and I enjoyed the not-yet-too-hot morning weather by walking up and down the block in front of the sale enough times to score over 2,000 steps on her "Fit Bit", and we enjoyed chatting and horsing around with others who were staying the long wait for the sale. (If you left you lost your close parking space, which is not a good thing.) Once the door was opened at the stroke of 9:00 we had to be allowed in, one by one, one number at a time, in order. They only allow a certain number of people in at a time, so if you aren't within that first group that's too bad for you--by the time you get in all the "good stuff" might be taken.

      So, we of course had a great time picking out things we liked as quickly as possible, because slow folks are "losers" in that game. I found some REALLY GOOD items, which I won't name specifically here now--but may I say that two of the items I scored for under $50 each retailed at over $1,200.00? I was one happy camper when I got home and researched that, Let Me Tell You!
      After the sale Janine and I proceeded to run around. First we ate lunch at a favorite diner in Webster Groves. Then we went to my favorite bead shop where I spent less than $10 on their garage sale of $1.00 each items, then we ran to buy a gift for a friend, then we went to our favorite shabby chic resale shop and actually bought Nothing! I think we were definitely shopped out by then. It was a long day by the time we got home in the 99 degree heat, unloaded the car, and then I sorted through everything I bought, researched it's value, and got it ready to take photos.
      And Can You Believe that early Sunday morning Janine called me and "forced" me to get dressed in five minutes so we could go BACK to the estate sale for Half Price Day??? (I know, the things one does for a friend.) We came home AGAIN with the car loaded to the gills. Oh, well, my work is cut out for me this week.  My goal this week is to list at least 40 of the new items I got at the fabulous sale. That might take some real determination, but it's quite possible.

      My favorite things I bought at the sale to keep for myself were the Carved Cameo Seashell (above), and the Monster Conch Shell (next to the Santos Angel by the fireplace). Love them! And wonder how long before they, too, will end up on Ebay?
      How was your week? Do you have any goals you'd like to achieve? What is your favorite healthy and quick meal? I'd love to know!



  1. I love the carved seashell. I've never seen anything like that. I hit an estate sale too this weekend and got a couple of good things but it sounds like you did really good. Can't wait to see what else you got.

  2. Sounds like you had a lovely week. That steak salad looks scrumptious! Estate sales are fun and usually full of really great stuff, but, they do require a bit more sacrifice than garage sales and thrift shops :) It sounds like you hit the mother load!Once those high dollar items have sold, I hope you'll share what they were. My ebay goal is to list 50 items this week.

    1. I really hate to post here what I paid and what I sold for because I send my customers a card with my blog address inside. I would not want to see how much someone made off of what I buy on Ebay; especially if it was a lot--Ha! (Maybe I will just post it on YOUR blog!) Hint; they were Christmas items, so that may take a while.

  3. So happy you had a good week. The estate sale sounds like fun!! I love the cameo shell and yes, the huge conch is unbelievable!! Hubby and I did walk a couple times last week and it felt GOOD to get out again. Good for you and your friend to log in all those steps together!

    1. Yes, walking is all good. Last night at ten o'clock Sweetface said, "Let's go for a walk." I was pleasantly surprised, since he never initiates the walks. But it had suddenly turned nice and cool after two days of nearly 100 degree temps, and suddenly the humidity had disappeared. Once again I turned off the A/C and we slept happily with the windows open all night.

  4. Hi Linda,
    Why did I not know you had this BEAUTIFUL blog? I just added it to my blog roll. I LOVE your conch shells. I have them all over my house, but I've never seen a carved one. What a great find!

    1. I have enjoyed your Ebay blog for a long time. Thats so much!